Inset: Braylon Daniel Diaz (GoFundMe). Background: News footage of Brandon Torres-Meza in court (KING).
A Washington state teenager who died protecting his girlfriend during a robbery reportedly handed over his jewelry before he was gunned down.
Brandon Torres-Meza, 21, was one of three people charged in connection with the killing of 17-year-old Braylon Daniel Diaz, who was fatally shot during a robbery in Parkland, Washington, on May 24. Authorities said Torres-Meza fled to Mexico after the shooting, but was apprehended on July 30 and extradited back to the United States to face charges of aggravated first-degree murder, first-degree murder, and unlawful possession of a firearm.
Alyssa Vaught-Barr, 26, is also charged with first-degree murder, and police said she was behind the wheel of the car that pulled up beside Braylon and his girlfriend, 16-year-old Katelyn Zuniga, while he was walking her home.
On Monday, Torres-Meza appeared in court for his arraignment, where he pleaded not guilty to the charges against him. Local news outlet The News Tribune was at the hearing, where deputy prosecutor Matt Thomas provided more details about what happened on the evening of May 24.
Thomas said Braylon "was walking down the street with his 16-year-old girlfriend in broad daylight in Parkland when the defendant and others pulled up next to him to rob Braylon of a $10 necklace. The defendant didn't murder Mr. Diaz because Mr. Diaz was resisting. To the contrary, Mr. Diaz had already complied with the demand to produce the necklace, and only after he handed over the necklace is the defendant alleged to have murdered him."
As Law&Crime previously reported, police said Braylon was walking Katelyn home when a car full of strangers pulled up next to them. Documents obtained by The News Tribune said that Torres-Meza rolled down his window and called out to the couple, "Come over here," followed by an expletive. Braylon told Katelyn to stay back after Torres-Meza allegedly demanded that Braylon hand over his gold necklace, which he did. Torres-Meza then allegedly pulled out a gun and shot Braylon in the abdomen before Vaught-Barr allegedly drove away.
Katelyn told local Fox affiliate KCPQ at the time, "He protected me his last few seconds. He was always a protector. He always cared about me. He would always take care of everyone around him."
During Torres-Meza's arraignment, prosecutors requested that his bail be set at $5 million. Braylon's uncle Johnathan Grimmett briefly spoke at the hearing and told the court, "He is a threat to the community. He murdered my nephew. You guys [need to] make sure that he is prosecuted, that he is not released in the community."
The court commissioner then doubled Torres-Meza's bail to $10 million. Torres-Meza and Vaught-Barr are both in custody at the Pierce County Jail and are scheduled to appear in court on Sept. 24.